View Single Post
Unread 9 Oct 2005, 07:33   #1
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Post Putting things in perspective...

Please correct me where I'm wrong:

At some point in the beginning, the Universe as we know it didn't exist. Time, space, and movement all seem to be intertwined and are characteristics of our Universe and so it makes no sense to ask questions such as:

'What was there before the Universe?' - as anything that would be something would be part of the Universe and could not exist without it, but only within it. Also, as time, and causality may be (are?) exclusive traits of the Universe, perhaps even saying 'before' is an error.

'What is there outside of the Universe?' - as everything is inside the Universe, and being 'something' is being of the Universe.

Perhaps even asking 'What began or 'created' the Universe?' is a nonsensical question if causality only applies to everything within the Universe.

Whatever. Moving on.

So now you have this ordered Universe that has various movement and force, energy, a process of entropy (with exceptions), elements, mass, gravity. Structure is created - gas clouds, galaxies, solar systems, whatever - heavy elements are produced, objects form (planets, planetoids, etc), chemical processes begin, biological processes follow.

And now you have this thing that is life. It's just a continuation of a process, a consequence of causality, it's significance to the system in general seems to be close to none (for the moment at least - perhaps there is a potential there).

Biology begins with replication, production of offspring, mutation, death, adaptation to environmental resources that facilitate reproduction. The biological system becomes more complex as competition for resources stiffens and as biology beings to change the environment itself. There is mutation, various traits end up proving sufficient for overcoming the competition and then here we come to the point of it all: consciousness. Metaphysics right?

So here then is s|k, talking in third person. s|k thinks that the odds of him being here are quite slim if you think all of things that might have happened that could have led to him not being here (various events in the life of his parents (or of their parents, or their parents parents, etc) that may have led to them never meeting, or if one of the other millions of different sperms had mated with the egg instead of the one that did (or of the sperms that led to his ancestors' conception). But this is all nonsense because if s|k wasn't here, somebody else would be, and more importantly: s|k is here so this entire paragraph was just a waste of time.

Moving on. So now there is s|k, experiencing consciousness - an insignificant consequence of causality - thinking it's not insignificant at all, because consciousness is everything he is. The Universe does not even exist at all, nor does s|k, without s|k, for s|k. Therefore, how could he be insignificant - at least to himself?

Now s|k knows that consciousness and he himself, will only be around for a limited amount of time. Human life, the pedestal of consciousness as experienced by s|k, seems to be quite ephemeral, as he himself has witnessed other human life ending quite unpredictably and intermittently around him. s|k is old enough to have stopped existing several times already if what happened to the lives around him had happened to him instead. And he would have stopped existing, without ever making sense out of any of it.

It's a question of significance, and significance is really something created by us. There is no inherent significance within anything. But using the rational means to measure 'significance' in the context of the seemingly massive and eternal Universe, my life, by any reasonable estimation, seems incredibly insignificant. But to ME it is not insignificant at all. To ME it is everything. **** I just can't make any sense of it.

How could I be nothing, when I am everything.