Thread: Are you Agile?
View Single Post
Unread 25 Mar 2007, 11:45   #7
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Are you Agile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
It has its place in small software development teams which have to develop something tangible quickly i guess, but certainly not for enterprise level development where you are developing a huuge system which has to be pretty damn good and thought through in how everything is going to interact with each other thing ( UML diagrams , the works for planning etc )
I agree that Agile is hard to implement in huge teams of hundreds of developers, and even more so when interacting with different dsciplines. But I think you can split up any huuuuge system up in smaller subsystems that then can be developed by smaller Agile teams. It's like the SCRUM-master approach, though personally I think an approach where every team is a customer of another team makes more sense.

Quote:
Its just the lack of overall planning which i dont like primarily about it. You have no idea where the thing is going in the end or if the whole thing is going to be done on time, only where you are supposed to be at the end of a particular sprint.
So, when you plan a huge project the traditional way you can say EXACTLY when it's going to be finished? They're no more than gut-feelings of when something is done. And an Agile-gut-feeling is no less than a traditional-gut-feeling.
Yes, it's possible a project never ends, and that's OK as long as the customer pays for it. And it's also partially true that a piece of software is never really done.

Quote:
On the plus side it does put more pressure on the customer to say precisely what they want and to stop faffing about with indecision since they are what drives the process on. If anything goes wrong outside of the acceptance tests that they agree too then its their own fault and not that of the developer which is good for us. a rather nice CYA approach
Yes, it puts more pressure on the customer and you need a willing customer if you want to successfully do a project in thr Agile way. It can be a pain trying to convince the customer that in return the has a better chance that he gets what he wants because he can give feedback and change priorities every iteration.