Thread: Planetarion app
View Single Post
Unread 11 Mar 2016, 16:48   #26
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Planetarion app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
It's been a dead enterprise for a number of years and as the 'success' of AD2460 shows there really is no call for browser based games of depth anymore.
I think this is almost right. What I agree with is this: the shape of PA as we know it is dead. Players don't want to look at a glorified spreadsheet. AD2460 didn't improve this at all. It is certainly slicker, with more pictures, using the very latest innovations in HTML, CSS and Javascript. But those are still just minor improvements over what was available in the native world in the late 80s, early 90s. Even Myst, just about the last successful game that extensively featured still images and pre-rendered graphics in gameplay, did better than that. Myst was released in 1993, 23 years ago.

The part I disagree with is your focus on the term 'browser based'. With the development of technologies like Canvas and WebGL, games in the browser can look about as good as native PC games did just a few years ago. That's a pretty small gap, and certainly small enough for browser games to compete with still-popular native games that are often much older than that. The browser is not what's killing PA.

In spirit, I'd say the successful game that's closest to PA is EVE Online: a truly player-driven MMO. The developers are obviously still in charge of shaping the game, but they very intentionally shape it such that the players drive the gameplay, not the other way around. Contrast this with a game like WoW (or literally every other MMO out there), which is entirely driven by the content put in by the developers, with the players acting solely as consumers. Yes, there's PvP, but that part of the game is more like Starcraft or DotA than it is like PA. The scale is just too small.

Eve proves that a truly player-driven MMO can be successful, and thus that PA could be. Given recent technical innovations, some of which I listed above, a PA-like or Eve-like game could very well be browser based. That wouldn't and shouldn't be PA as we know it, but it would preserve the core of what PA is.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 11 Mar 2016 at 17:08. Reason: OK I think I'm done editing now. :(
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote