View Single Post
Unread 28 Jun 2007, 02:13   #38
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Poland's fairly brilliant EU negotiating strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I will repeat, I do not care which countries join the EU, but I would advise those wishing to analyse the situation rationally (especially re : Turkish membership) consider the merest possibility that cultural/racist attitudes contribute beyond the familiar arguments on human rights or economics.
I do consider it (rationally), if you think the one of the fundamental reasons for starting the EU project was an end to bigotry between certain nations, its only 'right' to address the same argument when dealing with new applicants. I'm not hiding from the fact bigotry is probably a reason for not wanting the turks in (it was after all the reason i asked if 'cultural differences' was a euphemism).

Quote:
Additionally, I would say that I doubt how Moroccan's (or Turks, or whomever) feel about "being European" has much to do with the desire by some in joining the EU. Certainly from the little I've read, it's much more motivated by economics (which personally I'd prefer as a motivator).
Oh i agree, and once they join they'll bring up the same 'cultural differences' argument about anyone else that wants to join - just like everyother 'new' EU member has. When that happens ill obviously argue for that 'other nation' joining as well.