View Single Post
Unread 11 May 2006, 11:59   #14
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: A betting system to encourage helping newbies (and alliance/galmates!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
iirc, you said that the 'gain' (as in the resource gain, not the potential increase in playerbase gain) was the player's score. Whilst you said that was an example, what i was mostly worried about was people going around placing (for example) 50 bets on 50 different newbies to raise in rank by 1. Whilst their score might be small, 50 * 100k score of resources per tick is significant, and much more so if it could be maintained over a long time (though, granted, the proportion of an increase this would have over time would fall, it would still be substantial).
The necessary investment would be very high though. Remember that you'd need to pay resources = current score to make the bet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
It was an idea for a reward system. It's much easier for low ranking players to gain ranks than high ranking players. Therefore, it'd be more worthwhile to bet on small planets and help them rise through the ranks via donations and helping them attack than betting on alliance mates in the top 200 who might rise 50 ranks with a few good attacks.
The time modifier wasn't essential, but there to reward some sort of speed in achieving your goal.
Fair enough. I still think that using score as cost and payout balances this without the need for some weird formula.
Quote:
so why is anyone going to use it?
Context! I said that the payout on small planets rising 1 rank would be very small, not that all the payouts would be small.

Quote:
There's a difference between helping them and betting on them. You can help them in any galaxy. Going by the current system, if you just exile small planets but keep in contact and help them 'remotely' then you can a) continue the search for a decent galaxy and b) get rewards from bets on small planets. making it galaxy based - i.e. "you only get the reward if they're in your galaxy and stay in your galaxy" means that you're more likely to help the galaxy.
Yes, but now you're falling back into that mindset that the current system helps. It doesn't. The bet makes an deliberate connection between the helper and the helpee. The galaxy just makes an incidental connection. You might as well just use lottery tickets to match people up.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote