View Single Post
Unread 21 Jul 2004, 12:02   #107
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jolt meeting, Your questions needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffy
To actually buy a failed company / product, invest in it as Jolt did during 2003, keep it going even when you are losing money and then eventually turn it around is quite an achievement. To dismiss that as something any of the potential bidders at the time could have done assumes they wouldn't have let it get into the same state as that which resulted in having to be sold at all in the first place, or developed it into their own pet project which disappeared when their enthusiasm waned.

In addition to taking the game from the scrap heap to a now stable footing, Jolt has, aided by the effort and dedication of a number of PA Team volunteers, produced a speedgame series, a solid r10.5 and an enjoyable r11 (even for those of us active in 1:1) in the space of six months. Yes we need to do more and have perhaps missed some opportunities during that time but I consider the last six months to have been a fairly successful time in the life of Planetarion, something that the increase in player numbers over that time backs up
Right, time for a long fashioned rant. The only reason, in my eyes, Planetarion was being sold off was because 5th Season (Sorry if its the wrong number) couldnt support it anymore. After the game went down a couple of times, doomsayers from all over the place came along, and Jolt stepped in as a stop gap. To say you took the game from the scrap heap, I think, is a bit OTT. There was still a player base there and there was still a game running - this is not a scrap heap. Granted its a bit more stable now (Havnt played this round, not sure whats happening re: Alliances, blocks etc), but there still is uncertainty. You mention the PA Team volunteers - how many of the voulunteers have now quit PA Team? I can count atleast 5. The Speedgame series, to be honest, sucked. That is no way a good point. If you wish, and if you dont believe me, I can rant on, but Im going to stay on subject (for once).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
Apart from supplying servers, what has Jolt actually done above and beyond PA Team? Have you pushed for specific gameplay changes? Performed any significant market research into why PA is stagnant? Funded or even just supported any off-shoot ventures into experimenting with different avenues that PA's future could explore? Brought in coders external to the project to assess the feasibility of the more adventurous suggestions put forward by the community? Even considered moving the game forwards as opposed to simlpy 'bending' the existing infrastructure to what the existing members want in constrast with what prospective members seek? Been actively promoting the game? Been actively forthcoming with developmental information, with news about Jolt's plans for the game and where Jolt would like to see Planetarion in x months time? Had significantly more community interaction beyond 'A Jolt/PA Liason posting in the odd thread'?
After reading the follow up with Pablissimo posted, I still had questions to be asked. Viewing the Jolt website, the only mention of PA I have seen is on the forums, where the link is directed to here, a couple of news items, talking about the purchase and new rounds and 1 banner ad. Market research into PA stagnating would be brilliant for Jolt to do, as well as the other points raised. The main sticking point I have at this point is where Pablissimo mentioned about the developmental information. The only area where this could be considered is at i16 (UK LAN event) when R10 was supposed to have been shown off to people, but it was stopped at the last minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt Press Releases
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Jolt Online Gaming Ltd (Jolt), announces the hosting of the massive multiplayer game, Planetarion.

United Kingdom, Aylesbury, 11 December 2002- Jolt, agreed terms to provide the network infrastructure, subscription management and maintenance of the massive multiplayer game, Planetarion.

Planetarion, which has attracted over 180,000 players, will now benefit from utilising the network that supports Europe’s largest online gaming service. Jolt will provide full hosting, bandwidth and day-to-day management, including the latest high specification web and dB servers.

Dominic Silk, CEO of Jolt.co.uk said;

“We are very happy to be working with Planetarion. We are confident that Jolt will far exceed the players expectations with regard to performance and will provide an enriched playing environment for the stalwart Planetarion community.”
I would like to draw your attention to the bottom 3 lines, and ask a few questions. What does Mr Silk think the players expectations were then at the buy out, and now, 22 Months(ish) down the line? Also, reviewing the other items in the Press Release area of Jolts website, they are investing heavily in other games and other pieces of hardware - when, if ever, will Planetarion get to see this happening here?
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote