View Single Post
Unread 7 Jun 2007, 15:00   #32
AdmV0rl0n

AdmV0rl0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Planet Dumps (Last Updated: 12/04/06)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
That Useful Links thread is linked to the Overview in-game. Thus, it is accessable to everyone who has access to the game. If they clicked on it, they dont need to be a forum user to view the page. The thread is split in such a way as to group references by type, and generally include a link to explain what things actually are or how they work.

Now, i realise that is less than ideal, as what you seem to be asking for are in-game battle calcs, target searching facilities and the like. Having said that, the Useful Links thread has had some 22k hits on it, so at least someone other than me uses it (i can only account for about 12k ).

Without target searching tools, it could be put that there would be an increased emphasis on launching on the more obvious and/or helpless targets of the universe - the very 'noobs' you are trying to help - which i dont think is a good thing.
I was not really asking, rather merely suggesting things. If the useful links thread is in the overview, then its along the lines of my thinking of putting things in the game where they really should be, ie, basically right where people can get them.

The in game link to a Bcalc could just be a link on the game screen, perhaps chosen in the prefs option. I'm not saying there has to be one, its just, why not? How many times do you get someone pop up asking for a bcalc? Its pretty often.

To try and put the essense of my whining moan in context, I'm not against the tools, but if the tools equate to a voodoo-Planetarion-ism where those in the know get a foot up, while those who don't get the beasting, thats a needs fixing thing.

The other thing I said was you are giving the data away free. Stick a license on it and see if you can get the community to give you code back in some way that might even - yes - turn ino a target picker or bcalc or whatever, that lives in the game itself.

I know in some cases to be fair, people have given stuff back, I am not saying they don't.
AdmV0rl0n is offline   Reply With Quote