View Single Post
Unread 7 Jun 2007, 00:33   #25
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Planet Dumps (Last Updated: 12/04/06)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmV0rl0n
Well, there are a few reasons. Obviously, this is once again, my wacky point of view.

1. The dumps are not shown or listed in the EULA or indeed in the manual.

2. I accept they are covered in the forums, but assuming everyone sifts the forums when dealing with the game is a mistaken theory.
I agree, but then again the dumps do not offer any ingame advantage right away. They just ease the way pa players can mine data. You certainly didn't play the very first rounds where people wrote bots which cycled through the galaxy page for every galaxy each tick and retrieved the data that way. It was very server stressing, and as such the botfiles are easing the life for everyone: Tool Coders and Pa Team / game administration.

Quote:
3. Noob players are totally disadvantaged by the third party tools that are created from the dumps. They enter the game, they have no reference to the dumps, PAtools, third party activity and actions of the alliances.

4. Players who understand and use tools like sandmans have quite an advantage over people who for example, do not know its there, OR do not know how to use it, even if they do know its there.
Both points contradict each other. On the one hand there are pages like sandmans which invalidates your point #3. And point #4 boils down to applying common sense / brainforce. If people cannot handle tools like sandmans then in most cases they are unable to handle the data required for 'intelligent playing' of PA anyway.

Quote:
5. I believe fundamentally that the game should in a very basic sense, be played by logging in to the game, and using the options available. This basic principle is why for example, Multi's are banned, Farming is banned, Bots and browser plugins are banned, special in game plugins or other things are regarded against the spirit of the game.

I think that most people basically agree, that the game should be played by the player. It should involve making the best use of the game resources, using diplomacy, working with your galaxy, cluster, and alliance. Or in the most basic terms, may the best player win, by playing the best game.

Now, over time, I also accept, people think that Battle calcs, and the many third party tools add to the game, and help people play the game.

The overlooked part in this is that someone who does not know this background stuff, signs up, they get their account. They log in and play the game, using the game screens. They are not shown a list of third party tools, so are disadvantaged. They are not given a list of external tools. They are however at the but end of being raped and pillaged by people, galaxies, clusters and particuarily alliances, who have a distinct and unfair advantage.

Now, before people blow a fuse, I was being verbose when I made my first suggestion. So rather than not doing the dumps (although that is an option.), perhaps a solution would be to place info on third party tools in the manual, or another suitable place. And add some details or articles how to use the tools.

Even then, I still think, to a variable extent, that its slightly against the basic spirit of the game in some ways.
I'll answer to the rest once I am sober again. But I guess the first to comments of mine make it very clear which way this argument will take.