View Single Post
Unread 19 Sep 2005, 11:07   #130
Dopec

Dopec can only hope to improve
Re: Stat changes for R15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandows
tbh Cath offense fleets are meant to be "extremely" powerfull, they really on a good offence as their defence ain't all that great. I can tell from experience (as medium sized Cath) that whenever your gal is targetted as Cathaar you are bound to get most incoming (unless you are huge or have no roids), simply because most races can get through on Cath for free. Also with the changed sentinel from CO to FI cathaar will probably be alot easier to attack for Xan Fi as there won't be any cathaars who have sents anymore.

Caths might have the best offence, but they rely on it as they are also the most diserable race to attack for alot of ppl. Current changes to Xan (DE roid fleet) and Cathaar with the Guardian targetting the class that has most anti-CR, it will be way to easy to stop them. The Roach is useless as anti-FR (there is no FR targetting CR or BS), which means Cathaar rely on a Hornet / Guardian combo and with the amount of anti-CR & BS in DE class ships that will be damn easy to stop. Add to that the reduced effectiveness of the Viper and there isn't really much left for a Cathaar to attack with. And basing a race purely on teaming with other races isn't the best way to get some balanced stats.
After some consideration, I agree mostly with all that, but this round's peacekeeper versus roach imbalance is something that cant imho be left untouched. I wouldnt say that the current stats are so bad for cath, maybe not good enoug thought, if you consider Guardians Dam/cost which is 58 to its counter, Ghost which has Arm/Cost as 33, so if a Xan wants to defend himself versus caths he can not really rely on the ghost but rather on the peacekeeper so its the same as it has been this round, Xan will have to build a silly amount of 40 Arm/cost peacekeepers to flak Guardians with Dam/cost of 58. I cant really see how a cath cr/bs fleet that has main focus on Guardians and 2ndary focus on taras would suck as there'll be next to no point in building the roach. The buccaneer versus Guardian situation might be a bit grim for the cath atm, but i believe that it wasnt yet taken into consideration when Guardian was moved to BS class so it might change.

I wouldnt spend much attention to the current top 10 either since 3 of the terrans there are 6:10 and also three of them are 1up hence their high ranks shouldnt come as suprise to anyone. When the top10 had more than just 1up/Reunion members it might've been better indicator of race balance. There are only a few caths in top20 yeah but there are as many caths in top20 as there are good 1up/Reunion players who went cath for this round, played actively and resided in good galaxies
Dopec is offline   Reply With Quote