View Single Post
Unread 29 May 2005, 07:26   #94
Summanus
Banned

Summanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really nice
Re: Australian drug girl

I think the issue is not so much that she's Australian, as opposed to it being in Indonesia, where due process is perceived as non-existent from this country, and people perceiving this as a slap in the face after the outpouring of support after the tsunami.

People don't realise that just because we gave a neighbour some aid means they should reciprocate with releasing a convicted criminal and undermining their entire legal system. Also, the masses have been stirred into a frenzy by the populist media (the newspapers are owned by none other than Murdoch). The more esteemed media outlets have been far more evenly balanced.

I for one believe she received due process. I think she was lucky to get 20 years. This doesn't make it right in any sense, but it does seem fairly lenient.

The more disturbing trend in this thread though is to bag out Australia in a futile attempt by a few Englishmen to convince themselves we're all idiots before they receive an oh-so-unceremonious thrashing at our hands in the Ashes.

Bangladesh isn't a real team
Summanus is offline   Reply With Quote