View Single Post
Unread 28 May 2005, 04:03   #64
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Australian drug girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
The concept of individual rights is not culture-dependent. It's intelligent-life dependent. It's a fundamental viewpoint on what people should be allowed to do. Perhaps there would be less of a problem, although I would still say there is a problem as I disagree with the idea that it's okay to bring up children in this fashion (we all deserve a fair chance in life), if there was an infinite amount of land in the world and you could go anywhere and set up your own society if you so wished, however that is not the case. I suspend judgement in as many scenarios as I can but certain assumptions are always required. I just try to minimise these.
No, it is not intelligent life dependent, you think that because it is taken as written in stone by your culture. There are plenty of alternative viewpoints to individual rights, one particular example would be Asian Values, and who are we to say this is wrong? When you are sat in a cozey life in a nice rich western democracy with all the welfare and employment opportunities you need, this is easy to see. However, when you have no food to fill your belly, you suddenly find your priorities are different. Suggesting that individual rights are obvious for everyone is very naive. People elsewhere have different values to you, just because you are unable to comprehend them doesn't make them wrong.