View Single Post
Unread 24 Dec 2013, 01:52   #31
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future
Re: Feedback requested: Covert Ops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motti View Post
I can but only think that the simple, and logic solution to the "cov op problem" is JUST BUY GUARDS! (or sec centres, or tweak population)
That is not a solution, it is a band-aid fix to the problem. When someone has a leak in his basement's pipes, instead of fixing the actual problem what you're saying is "just get a bunch of buckets and haul the water out". Would it work? Sure. But it's not a solution. Covert ops are flawed design in two ways:

Firstly, they are one-way interaction. A covop planet is, generally speaking, immune to retaliation. Even if he gets caught, there rarely is any benefit to attack the covop planet, since Covert Ops encourage you to stay as small as possible.

Secondly, and I'm not sure how to call this, but your argument perfectly shows the issue: if everyone were to buy Guards, Covops would be completely useless. So, in a perfect world where everyone would follow your brilliant suggestion, we'd be left with a page that does nothing but drain the universe's resources. One might argue that it's an aspect of the game where you figure out how few guards you need to scare off hostile ops, personally I don't care for it.

If covert ops disappeared today, I would not enjoy Planetarion one bit less because of it, quite likely the opposite. That not saying I think it should be removed before exploring more options, and I think the last few changes were definitely an improvement, but to me they are and always will be a minor nuisance to the actual game.
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote