Thread: DVD recorders
View Single Post
Unread 27 Mar 2006, 01:22   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
DVD recorders

The connect to your TV type, not the burn dodgy dvds from the net type.
This was originally going to be a "what should I get" thread but I left it too late, so now it's a "here's what I got" thread.

My parents were after one having finally realised VHS is shit, so I looked around and settled on the Panasonic DMRES20 (catchy name I know) for them to buy, as they know jack about this sort of thing. I just set it up earlier, and I'm surprised at what you get for the money (£140)
- Onboard freeview so you can record straight from the program guide, no hassle yo
- Timeshift recording - hit record if the phone goes, come back, rewind to where you were and it will carry on recording the show and playing it back at the same time
- Digital to analog converter, so they can send the picture over coax out to their signal splitter, so they can pipe freeview/dvd to any TV in the house
- External source recording so they can DVDificate their videos
- All that fancy crap you can do with DVD-RAM discs like moving things around, making chapters, deleting bits, yadayadayada
- One particular fancy DVD-RAM thing, which lets you record one thing while watching something else entirely that you recorded earlier on the same disc.
- And of course the standard dvd player type stuff (multiple sound outputs, resume-from-last-playback-position, that kinda thing)

I also kept their old freeview box wired up so they can send one freeview channel round the house while watching another freeview channel on the big TV.
If you pay another £20 you can get the multi-region version but i figured it wasn't worth it, as they only have legit dvds anyway and I make backups of all mine regardless of whether I got them from the USA or not, and strip the region protection off (and all the annoying "you cannot skip this advert" bits) in the process.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has a DVDR, what sort of price they paid, and how it compares. I like to think we got value for money here. Apparently the dude in Richer Sounds said it was the best one in its price range when they went to pick it up.

Last edited by meglamaniac; 27 Mar 2006 at 01:28.
meglamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote