View Single Post
Unread 26 Aug 2005, 01:29   #29
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Stat changes for R15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
Ultimately, Caths don't have the ability to make themselves invincible.
Not by themselves per se (some may argue that Vipers make them pretty invincible to FR though), but i think Caths are in the best position to make themselves invincble by proxy - by stunning huge proportions of the enemy fleet, thus making the enemy extremely vulnerable to any form of defence. But you know that.

Quote:
I played Zik last round, didn't farm any TBT and I got smashed by FI incoming regularly. In fact, by your use of parentheses, you are implying that all stealing is farming, something I disagree with.
Obviously, i'm not saying that all ziks farmed their TBT - as that's obviously wrong. What i meant by the parentheses was that players could steal ships legitimately in combat, or "less legitimately" either through farming them (an illegal activity) or trolling the inactive planets for certain ships that they were looking for. I put that in brackets as, obviously, it didnt happen all that often (i hope, anyway) but often enough to make it worth mentioning as an aside.

But that's off topic...

Quote:
"Higher value planets having more ships" shocker!
That's what i was trying to point out - you cant argue both ways (that Caths have too many ships and too few ships at the same time).

Quote:
And God forbid that we should reward people for doing that!
I wasnt saying that players shouldnt be rewarded for using their skills. On the contrary, if you have read much of what i have written on this issue for the last four years or so you;d realise that its quite the contrary.

Quote:
I want to know what your evidence for this is. I actually think the rock/paper/scissors nature of this round is one of the most balanced - as proved by the closeness of the average roid count/value (shown here). If Cath power were reduced, they would fall further behind Xan in average value and roids; I fail to see why this would be a good thing or desirable in any way.
Well overpowered was perhaps the wrong word, though i still maintain that they are on the overpowered side of balanced . I think Cathaar needs to be adjusted which is not the same as weakening or strengthening.

Quote:
Which, at a stroke, explains away the "unfair" Cath "dominance" of the top 100. It is the combination of stats which favour aggressive play and the skills of the players, not simply stats imbalance.
I think the imbalance in the stats (your own admission i might point out ) magnifies problems in the top 100. Its true, the top 100 should have proportionally more Caths in it than other races - but it should not be dominated by Cathaar planets.

Quote:
Ultimately, I think Cath this round is as it should be. It's an excellent choice for aggressive players, but risky because you can't make yourself invincible against any class. It's no coincidence that most of the top roided planets are Cath. That's just how the race works: high risk, high profit. The other races fill other niches, but we shouldn't be getting upset that Cath is functioning almost exactly as it should be.
Its ironic, then, that the main justification of improving the power of Cathaar's EMP (and indeed their kill ships) was to improve the race defensively. You are saying that this isnt working, and indeed results in (what i predicted would happen) is improvement in Cathaar's offensive ability and not improve them defensively much at all.

I think that Cathaar needs to be adjusted to change their relationship with Xan a bit more. Xan FR (or rather, second pod class) needs a complete overhaul.

Next round's stats builders have their work cut out for them

Last edited by Ultimate Newbie; 26 Aug 2005 at 01:44.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote