Thread: History books
View Single Post
Unread 30 Nov 2007, 16:50   #10
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: History books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
Because it's reading exclusively about the worst aspect of human civilization, in most cases glorifying what is a part of our culture and heritage we should be doing nothing but denigrate.

People who read about this sort of thing at the expense of areas of history in which humans were not destroying each other tend to end up with an idea that war is a noble thing, they throw around words like "honour" as if they mean anything more than an ideology designed to make people kill each other for other more powerful people's ends.

In my opinion it also shows that the reader who chooses to read about these things isn't as much in contact with the more worthy parts of their soul* and more in contact with base instincts.

A lot of people I have met who take a special interest in military history are also the kind of people who often profess violent solutions to real life problems without a trace of irony. Which is pretty pathetic. I doubt Zhukov does this though, although you might.

*I hesitate to use the word soul, but remove the religious connotations and it fits best with what i mean.

That's a pretty bold generalisation from you right there. People do have different interests and they do have their own reasons for having them. There are masses of people out there reading shitloads of books of the same subject, subjects that are a lot more pathetic then war.