View Single Post
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 13:28   #101
No Dachi

No Dachi is infamous around these parts
Re: Mercenaries: Dark Void

All
Actually, screw the whole 'day' thing altogether, it's confusing me. Back to the same odd, distorted time as is apparent in all my other threads.

Cortana IV

Flapjack
You give the order to Dot and Monk.

Dot: "Yes sir."
Monk: "Roger that, Captain."

The two move almost silently toward the ridge, and through the ghostly green image presented by your thermal indicator you see Monk settle down behind the ridge and Dot lie prone at its crest, observing the base's wall through his scope.

Dot: "Not a great view from here, but I can see guards walking about on the walls. Awaiting orders."

Meanwhile, yourself, Scope, Boomer and Netgrade make your way through the dense undergrowth of the jungle, heading for the base. You advance a good distance in no particular formation or approach untill you reach the edge of the clearing that surrounds the base. It is around twenty metres to the walls, and bright spotlights illuminate all approaches from the walls. The same spotlights are interfering with your thermal indicators. Better deactivate them.

Scope, Boomer, Netgrade: "Awaiting orders, sir."

Zappa
Jonathon: Aye Cap, I'll start scoutin' ahead.

The Skirmisher sets off at a fast run toward the village, which Miles informs you is about 2km over the ridge rising up in front of you. Everyone else loads up into the AFV as per your orders, and by the time everyone is inside Jonathon is over the ridge and out of sight.

Miles: "I see Jonathon. He's setting up on a ridge outside of the base."
Jonathon: "I'm fully set up now, Cap'n. Through the scope I count four vehicles - all soft-skinned. Two jeeps with what look like TOW missiles and HMGs, and two trucks. There are two AAA Guns here, probably what the trucks are for. Looks like around two platoons of Rebel infantry as well, some of them are probably in the buildings."

Meanwhile, Jeffrey takes the AFV up the ridge toward the village. The AG fields enable it to travel fast and evenly over the ground, which is covered in scree, with little more than a high-pitched whine as noise. Suddenly you're out over the ridge, and can see the village in full. There are around twenty buildings clustered irregularly around a central market square, surrounded by farm fields. What look like drainage ditches leading up to the village in geometric lines might provide good cover. Unfortunatly-

Miles: "There's a bit of activity going on down there sir, think they might have spotted you."
Jonathon: "Gah, sir, the AFV's been spotted by a sensor drone, it's tailing you. The Rebels are going ape-****."

Presently you hear a sharp metallic clang noise, something struck the hull.

Jeffrey: "Bollocks, the thing EM-tagged us, the Blend Gen won't work properly untill we get it off...full throttle, taking evasive manuevres, hold on."
Saloman: "Firing on the jeeps."

The AFV rocks gently to one side as Saloman fires off a laser bolt at one of the jeeps. You can't see anything, but Saloman lets out a loud yell of glee and Jonathon verifies it.

Jonathon: "Hit, one of the jeeps is out. Shame there wasn't anyone in it...watch out! They've got a laser cannon in the near building!"

You hear a loud explosion and a number of clangs as multiple pieces of something, presumably rubble, bounce off the hull.

Jeffrey: Woah, that was a bit too close fer comfort...
That Noble Sin; whilst Luxury
Emply'd a Million of the Poor,
And odious Pride a Million more.'

-The Grumbling Hive: or, Knaves Turn'd Honest, Bernard Mandeville
No Dachi is offline   Reply With Quote