View Single Post
Unread 25 Oct 2007, 00:29   #49
Phil M

Phil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the rough
Re: The portal (again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
A bespoke package is significantly better than anything off the self. Yes they have had problems in the past with bespoke systems buts thats due to the coders being substandard (mainly in the the documentation area which is poor or none existant and makes it hard for other coders to come in later and enhance or fix the framework. I know back in round 6 when I was part of the coding team the documentation for most of the other coders sections were so poor they were useless) and from a management pov where they weren't strong enough to tell coders to piss off when they demanded to recode the whole system when it wasn't needed BUT atleast a bespoke system isnt full of redundant code for PA and most importantly isnt riddled with exploits that are so easy to find out about and exploit that the world and their wife can hack the system and take control of your server with little effort.

With little effort you can find hundreds of exploits for things like wordpress or any CMS and a portal for a company that requests money from its users is a prime target to be hit. A bespoke website will probably still have exploits available but anyone wanting to take advantage of them has to find these exploits themselves, effort that most people wont bother with and when exploits are found they can be fixed internally rather than wait for the CMS systems programmers to be bothered to fix it

I've never known so much crap in all my life. Maybe we should get the dev team to create a new discussion forum from scratch because vBulletin is full of holes? An article you might find useful:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articl...000000007.html

If it's a core business function then you should do it yourself. In the case of Planetarion this would mean the majority of the focus should go on the game, so obviously that gets coded from scratch. The forums, portal and various other bits which aren't unique to Planetarion should ideally reuse other systems if it makes more sense.

Maybe because the portal gets created from scratch nearly every time is the whole ****ing reason it never works.
Phil M is offline   Reply With Quote