Thread: Pa api
View Single Post
Unread 2 Feb 2010, 13:06   #26
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Pa api

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
If bots were never a problem then why do we have a bot checker? Bots also now are sophisticated enough to understand the bot checker picture.
Because it's a seemingly obvious cure to a problem perceived as so big. Unlike the method mentioned below, bots generally tend to get caught quite fast. It's a rash, not an issue.

Quote:
The API has more to do with bots, than people using VNC. Although the API isnt really needed as you can control HTML anyway.
Now here indeed is the problem, and it's far, far broader than Killmark doing dirty things with Reborn's infant child.

Quote:
So imagine an API bot which used vnc and also had a image recognition built in. I just feel like producing one just to hear the "retard" siren.
Your retard siren wouldn't make a sound if you knew that the vast majority of unnocited PAX cheating has been exercised by VNC able to access multiple planets anyways? Probably not? It's no big deal in compared to Killmark. Let's be honest here: let me know how many rounds have been won through armies of bot planets, and I'll go count you a figure of how many round victories have been heavily influenced by remote controlling multiple accounts (incidentally, also against the rules).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Regardless, my point stands.
In fact the inverse might well stand - if you'd make it so that people wouldn't have to bot the game, or that mechanisms like this would be more accessible to more people, perhaps the inevitable - the core elite that cheats anyways - wouldn't be so significantly torn apart from the rest. The game's always struggled to stay in pace with the actual cheats.

edit. excuse me, my lunch date was screaming.
Now, the point is, by making these certain rules such as accessing multiple planets "against the rules" you're essentially restricting a chunk of people, the majority of the more casual playerbase, from having much of a chance against those who regardless of the rules (yeah, circumstancial and anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, but most people who have a clue will also have a hint of the extent of actual cheating in this game) can do things they want to do. The argument is, bots playing planets have generally been very, very easy to detect and suspend in compared to what the actual problem of the cheating in the game is - the more elaborate going around the rules done extensively is something you can easily and most do get away with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster
Bots also now are sophisticated enough to understand the bot checker picture.

The API has more to do with bots, than people using VNC. Although the API isnt really needed as you can control HTML anyway.
This begs the inevitable question: if you can bot it regardless of the checker picture, what's the function of trying to prevent something inevitable with a pointless picture, or not develop a helpful application to the game because something inevitable might happen? Bots aren't the trend of the day, anyways.

Last edited by Tietäjä; 2 Feb 2010 at 13:54.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote