View Single Post
Unread 23 Sep 2005, 20:20   #20
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: What Language is the "best" to learn?

Learn DHTML, for no good reason, apart from that it's quite cool. It'll get you started.
Learn C.
Then learn Lua, including how to embed it into C code in order to control C functions from Lua.
Learn how to use mod_lua.
Learn SDL.
Learn OpenGL.

Then you'll be able to create web-based application using lua that link to any C libraries you may want to use. You'll also be able to create games.

It's not the easiest or most conventional approach. But it's definitely the coolest.

Java is ok. I quite like the J2ME stuff. C++ is cool as far as learning about Object Orientated Programming goes. But it gets a bit much, in my opinion, when you start getting to the STL stuff. Python is probably one of the nicest languages to prototype stuff in, and one of the easiest languages to learn.

Oh, as you're starting out, Java may be your best bet. The only reason I say that is because its online documentation is excellent. Mind you, if you found a really good C/C++ book you'd be ok as well.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote