View Single Post
Unread 6 Aug 2008, 12:08   #21
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Making production last forever without cheating

Starting at the end:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^ View Post
Personally, i don't think functionality like this should remain, so i would prefer to see the bug corrected.
I don't have an opinion either way. I've never bothered prod-hiding, because it's tedious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^ View Post
how does leaving a bug/exploit in the code simply because " you cant be arsed" to fix it, or if you are using it as a test to see "how many others report it" improve the game?

Fact is, any bug should be either corrected or accepted as a feature, and a far more friendly way of implementing the functionality it introduced inserted.

If the production system is meant to allow for orders to be paused indefinitely, then a simple mechanism to pause an order is preferable to a method that forces you to jump through a few hoops, regularly to get it done.
If the production system is not meant to allow for orders to be paused indefinitely then removing the exploit is preferable to a broken production system that allows for very nasty surprises to be hidden from attackers.
Stepping back for a moment, people generally get hooked on games (not just games, any sorts of hobbies or tasks really) that have some sort of progression. Not just progression in game terms (more roids, more ships, more defense fleets), but also progression in terms of learning how to use tools.

Taking prod-hiding as an example, there's nothing to says you need to use prod-hiding to play PA. Therefore, for a new player, the pause button is simply noise. It's a feature that they have to deal with that they don't actually need to play. By hiding it in the production system, PA gains a learning curve and new features that can be unlocked as they become necessary.

Visible isn't a synonym for friendly.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote