View Single Post
Unread 9 Mar 2004, 02:30   #15
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: what happend to me yesterday......

I've got a very small but still painfull spark from a video cinch / composite before...

A friend of mine got real havy sparks spraying when he connected his network cable to the back of his computer. He wasn't hurt, but it looked quite dangerous and impressive ^^. He went on using gloves.
Explanation can only be: The cables run through a wall, where also power cables are laid. Must be (electro) magnetic effects etc.

His house seemed to be ****ed up pretty bad anyway. With the radiators don't being earthed but actually "live" (I think the whole earth must be connected to a live wire or mixed up in that building).

When he once opened his computer -- having the power cable disconnected -- and by chance touched the radiators, the sparkling thingy came again.
The only way the power could come in must have been through the vga cable. The monitor was plugged in, and the shielding of the monitor cable probably carried the current onto the pc case.

Stupid dangerous world.

Actually voltage AND current don't matter, if you use a nice & great invention called "earth leakage circuit breaker" or "residual current circuit-breaker". It's basically part of every fuse box in almost every German household.
It somehow detects something that usual fused don't catch, and hence saves your life.
Apparently even the classic "hairdryer -> bath tub" method wouldn't work. It might still hurt though...
Probably depends.......

[On a class trip to Straßbourg we went to visit the "Hager Tehalit" factory who produce this stuff]