View Single Post
Unread 17 Oct 2006, 10:47   #37
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
Re: In your youthful, wisdom what is the besy way to advertise a website?

Thanks for the freedback SYMM, here are some replies;

Quote:
the layout is reasonable, colours are yuck.
The words on the image at the top-right are unreadable (and unclickable, which I expected them to be).
There's a big gap between the bottom of the header and the start of the content, when there doesn't need to be (Opera 9...possibly a browser thing?)
The image and words at the top right were accidentally saved as gif and lost most of the clarity. This is one of the jobs I intended to fix.

The gap you see is a browser thing Im sure. There is actually an iframe there displaying images which I dont think is loading for you (popup blockers I suspect). This is being removed and replaced - the idea just didnt workout!

Quote:
Your headings should use heading tags, this aids with SE indexing.
Please explain more or point to a good tutorial - I have no knowlegge of this.

Quote:
The 'more info' pages on the properties has a 'print' button, which is fairly useful for the type of page it is, but it's probably worth editing the layout a bit (CSS can allow print-only stylesheets that might help...) so it fits on a single page. There's also no link back to the rest of the site from these pages.
I will bear this in mind but to be honest I dont have much CSS experience and not sure I have the time at the moment to find out how to implement this. Can you tell me if the print page worked for you?

I also intend to provide a currency converter on these pages.

Quote:
meta-keywords don't have to be single words. rather than 'property', 'for' and 'sale' separately, you'd do better comining them.

The 'title' of all your pages is the same. Making it applicable to the content will help.
I didnt know you could do that with meta tags, thanks for the tip.

I was unsure if the title should be the same for all pages or different for each. Is your advice based on what you know to be true or what you guess to be true?

Quote:
The 'details of the area' page could do with more information- information/links to hotels (prospective buyers will want to stay somewhere...perhaps look into arranging a discount and/or comission for referrals?), golf courses, etc. and maps of the area, showing where the properties are that you have listed.
The area guides will be updated and expanded, they have had very little work on them. Unfortunately I havent been to most of these places so its hard writing something useful.

Maps are to be added. Just another of those little things I need to do!

Quote:
The site is seemingly aimed at UK buyers, yet all the prices quoted are in Euros- this is confusing.
Yes, it is aimed at UK buyers. Prices are listed in Euros for one reason, our constructors price their property in Euros and we obviously cannot advertise a converted pound price because of rate fluxuation. I will be adding a handy currency converter on pages where necessary.

Quote:
The 'how to buy' guide is confusing, but the 'summary' at the top is a bit too short- something that explains the legalese in English would probably be of use.
Im unsure how to remedy this. It was provided by my turkish partner, I dont speak turkish and im not in a position to write my own at the moment, I am reliant on my partner.

Quote:
The email link in the header links to a non-existant page: prefix the email address with 'mailto:' or put together a contact-form.
Cheers, this explains the many page not found shows im get on the site statistics. The button works fine for me but obviously not others. I will fix it!

Quote:
The discussion forum is ridiculously slow to load- this is unprofessional and offputting.
Thats odd, it loads very quickly for me even on 56K dialup. The only explanation I can have right now is that I know my host is having a few problems with (wait for it...) Turkish spammers! I think the servers run slow from time to time because of this.

Quote:
Having lots of empty forums is offputting- better (imo) to start with just a couple, and then make more as you notice particular themes becoming common enough to warrant a forum of their own. Having the forum integrated with the rest of your site would be better, but that obviously requires a bit more tech-knowledge.
Point taken about empty forums I am working to get members on there and populate it so I think I will chance it for now.

I will look to integrate the forums which would be my ideal but again, as you say this requires a bit more teccy knowledge with I need to work out when I have the time.

Quote:
Hopefully some things to think about
Yes, thanks

Last edited by CrashTester; 17 Oct 2006 at 16:39.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote