Thread: donation whores
View Single Post
Unread 24 Apr 2010, 11:29   #249
Onim
the inquisition incarnate

Onim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to all
Re: donation whores

And how would you describe 'being organised' then? I am with you on the fact that its far from 'having a tight hierarchy' . But organisation of an alliance ususally means a set of rules made by creators of the alliance, and everything that is build around those rules

For example, organisation in DLR means you generally give up actual power to decide things, and at same time u strongly agree to not being taken by the hand but are expected to pull ur weight without tight chains. A few ppl decide, who are generally regarded as ppl who listen to arguments and are rational to make the decisions.

If this is what you mean by organisation, a set of rules and setup for alliance, and you regard that as much more important than activity, I have to disagree.

Activity is still what drives an alliance. Yes, a good strategy thought out at roundstart is important, but one can have the best strategy but lack of the ppl who can live up to whats expected, and organisation breaks apart. Not due to how its organised, but due to the memberbase as a whole.

The game mechanics of rewarding lower activity means that alliances' organisation breaks apart more easily. And, on the contrary to what you said, its actually the activity of the memberbase that makes the difference. As the average Conspiracy member doesnt feel the need to check in for 5 hours when they can set 2 researches in queue, 2 constructions, roundstart being done in just 1 tick.

This means less activity on IRC, less bonding with the alliance, and a vicious circle is born. The alliances that become victorious are the ones with the most active memberbase, combined with experience in how to play. However, sad thing is, this fact does not lead to more activity among players. No, it actually makes the gap between the winning alliances and the losing ones even bigger.

So no, i do not agree with you that organisation has become so much more important. Alliance like CT and ND have had their round wins without organisation like (i think) u mean (preround strategy in fleetcomposition , race choice, how ppl are to be distributed in galaxys etc) Joy, activity, momentum and politics make more difference.

"It never hurts to Help!" [Eek the Cat]

Denying existence during r3-6 and back in denial since r22
Onim is offline   Reply With Quote