View Single Post
Unread 6 Nov 2009, 14:45   #32
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: UK Data Protection Act of 1998 and the PA EULA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zPeti View Post
The only angle I see valid points in in the EULA, after consideration I think that it is not specific enough about what we use the data for, so I will update it soon so that it is much more specific.
Indeed. You'd probably get far simply by informing the user that you are collecting the data to build up a database from, and discussing the purpose of this database. This is all fairly trivial, and why it's not been done, is a good question. In fact, stating that the EULA isn't specific enough to describe what you use the data for is slightly underestimating, considering the only reference to data you collect is

"or if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us, or violate this agreement."

further discussed in "(f) False signup information will result in immediate closure."

which in the end is a really, really vague statement considering the difficulties related in verifying data. If a multihunter "verifies" my personal information as false, under what judgement does it happen? I'll be happy to discuss this verification process with you in person on IRC, not because I'd be in a particular hunt to burn witches, but because there might be specifics about this process you're not aware of that you might not be comfortable with.

The next piece discussing personal information is

"13. We cannot ensure that your private communications and other personally identifiable information will not be disclosed to third parties."

Personally identifiable information?

Quote:
We ask for name and location. This is not exactly massively personal data. If you are not willing to pay the "price" of providing this data to play my game, well then I am not willing to let you play.
It used to prompt for address too (or is my memory failing on me?), but this is probably ancient history. Whether old information is still being stored in a database or not (seeing as at least some form of old information is stored in order to send emails mentioned earlier on this thread) I don't know.

Quote:
If closing a planet on grounds of "false signup info" at a strategic time near the end of round could be considered favoritism then your also allowing another avenue of rigging the game
The problem is that, whether you insert correct information or not, there is no way to verify this - as I've personally experienced. So at that point, it simply becomes a one-side descision of the service provider (here, the multihunting team in specifics) to judge whether someone's personal details are "correct" or not. The logic does apply to both directions though: you don't see any harm done by people writing down their real (questionable, since there's no legal way to verify this) names, people don't see any benefit done by doing so. Besides avoiding being closed by multihunters for alledgedly false sign up information. But then again, the EULA essentially ensures that the administrators are allowed to close planets on evidence no other than essentially subjective judgement, so that's something people do agree to.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote