View Single Post
Unread 3 Nov 2009, 11:27   #7
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: UK Data Protection Act of 1998 and the PA EULA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
I only took a cursory glance at the links posted by Budious, but at the very least Renegade Games is not registered in the data protection public register, which according to this is a criminal offense.
I'm not sure if this is inspired off my post on the multihunters discussion thread. It's correct though, most likely collecting the kind of a database that is being collected by the sign up information (and it is an accessible database with technically undescribed access, considering how the multihunters are elected into their position) and used by the multihunters is illegal.

I discussed this with Appocomaster at the time when a multihunter had implied to me that cross-refering my personal information with a federal US database and the Planetarion player database would be a possible way to approach this. The argument is that the database is solely used to double check credit card information, but there's no signaling of this argument on the EULA, so essentially users aren't even agreeing to it - and this forfeits the possibility of free players wanting to keep their identity out of it. Appoco obviously had nothing to do with it, and the person I contacted from the owner at that time, (s?)he was some community representative, had no interest in pursuing the subject, even if I recall asking the person where I'd have to direct a law suit to.

A reminder, though. There is nothing that obligates you into signing up your real personal information on the sign up screen - collecting them is as mentioned most likely illegal, and not discussing them in EULA doesn't really make sense. Now, you can write "Yogi Bear" on your name and a multihunter will eventually come and be an egocentric dick about it, have a power trip on you over NCIC access, and yell random shit, but you should just tell them that they can talk to the ass because the face doesn't give a ****. I never gave my personal details to them again after I found out this stuff, and they didn't delete me for it either.

ps. In case anyone's interested, I have mIRC logfiles of a discussion with a multihunter regarding the database collection and using it to cross-refer with outside sources (such as NCIC).
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote