Thread: Game Tactics
View Single Post
Unread 2 Jun 2006, 13:14   #61
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Game Tactics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe
Here is another rather nasty tactic I have recently seen being used. It's a varient on a fleet catch.
Attacking top planets reminded me of some things I have done previously, using large defence sink planets in order to get roids.

Faking an attack against them (works good if you can't be fleet scanned by them, most big planets rush for finance centres anyway...), and getting a scanner to send along one ship at the same eta, then you retal the defenders. The scanner lands, and tells you if the defence was real. I did it a few times last round but once I overslept and accidentally fleetcaught 2k broadswords, which put a serious dent in my BS fleet at the time. I guess the main idea behind this is abusing scanners to work out if def against your fake attack is real and retallable, or not.

Double bluffing a fake is another nice defensive idea. If defending against cath CR, send a fleet with the same # of ships as your scarab and your mantis, and, assuming the attacker looks active and the calc makes it look like a clear recall, replace some of those 'scarabs' with scorpions instead! If it's CR, they recall, if it's FR, they splat. I did it occasionally last round with syren faked as barghest against cath CR as well, and the first attack that landed on me was an angel faking FR as CR and dying against my freshly built syren (I told him I was building barghest...)

Intricate fleetcatches or kill strikes can also be managed against some races. I like faking CR with my black widow/mantis and wiping out zikonian cruiser fleets, assuming the target hasn't built many clippers. They assume I'm just CR retalling an attacker and may jus send anti CR. Sending chimera faked as BS against a cath can also knock out a lot of their ships if tarantula are not around, or revenant+FI flak faked as FR against a zik with their marauders out works nicely at killing CO as well.

Of course, these ideas all depend on there being very specific fleet combinations and situations to take advantage of!
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote