View Single Post
Unread 22 May 2006, 05:03   #24
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: A call for mature posting

Also the one thing that's far worse than people making bad threads, is when people post stupid one-line replies in threads where the original poster has actually made some effort, or when a decent discussion is in progress. This is extremely bad, since it actually discourages people from creating good threads - if the first 20 replies are just going be idiots babbling crap, then why bother? People who deliberately hijack threads by having stupid offtopic IRC-style conversations with other posters are even worse, since these worthless reply span multiple posts rather than just one. MrL_JaKiri a few years ago is the most obvious example of this although he thankfully stopped doing it. Marilyn_Manson used to do this a lot also, having inane conversations with skiddy and the rest of that mob in the middle of threads, but hopefully he has grown out of it during his absense. I think JBG can also be bad for this sometimes, but its difficult to criticise him given that hes one of the best posters on GD.

Rather hypocritically, Yahwe is one of the main culprits here for ruining threads so perhaps he should have a look at his own posting habits before he complains about others not trying. He has probably ruined more decentish threads on this forum in the last few years than any single other poster, so its quite hard to take his comments seriously (I expect he'll deny this, so here's an example of one of his recent pieces of worthlessness. Also, note the complete lack of content in the majority of the first 10 posts - why should Deffeh bother making long threads if this is the standard of replies they get?).

Also, I just went through this thread and negrepped everyone who posted something worthless, in some sort of vain Byronic protest against an uncaring universe.

edit: And yes, I know that I often make one-line replies to threads, but only in stupid ones, not ones which actually have potential. But anyway, I'm actually going to make a conscious effort to care more about GD and post in the same style that I do elsewhere, hence I'm going to stop making any replies less than a paragraph long unless they are either genuinelly funny or address a specifc point someone has made

edit2: I also support pig's comments about using the rep system for how its meant to be used. I think repping good posts and neg repping bad ones is very important (as is giving the reasons why) - not because people should care about a number stored in a database*, but because it lets them know either that their effort is appreciated, or how they can improve their posting. I admit that I sometimes negrep wtihout comment, just because I cant be bothered writing anything, but I'm going to stop doing this (and also rep far more often).

edit3: The admins should also be more pro-active in banning users who obviously have nothing good to contribute ever, and/or those who take pleasure in amassing negrep from worthless posts (Qazokrogue, etc). The argument that 'at least people are posting' is stupid - if I wanted to read a forum filled entirely with contentless drivel, I'd migrate to PB. The reason I still read GD is because it is a 'community' forum which is halfway between the large, anonymous somethingawful-style places where noone really knows or cares who you are, and the stupid IRC-style forums where everyone has mundane conversations using single sentence replies (somethingawful reminds me of Oktoberfest or Glastonbury, whereas GD is more like a quiet village pub, and PB is like a bunch of special school children who found a bottle of vodka in their parent's bedroom)

*irony intended, given why this forum exists

:words:

Last edited by Nodrog; 22 May 2006 at 10:02.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote