View Single Post
Unread 8 Jul 2012, 04:13   #56
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Jagex Introduction / Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Zyth=- View Post
I am heartily surprised this has not already been done. This game is exactly the kind of low-tech community gaming that is booming on social media platforms.

Somebody somewhere, who may well have played the game in it's heyday, will probably get there ahead of Jagex. Call it Planetwars or Space War. Considering how massive the userbase is of Facebook it wouldn't take much effort to pull in a few hundred thousand players.

A group of planetarion veterans could do exactly this... Or Jagex could.
I don't actually agree. When I drifted away from PA I used the skills picked up during the thousands of hours spent working for planetarion in the various roles I held here to pick myself up some work in the Video Game industry with a focus on Social Gaming and it has been one of my main sources of income for the last 5 years.

What you soon realise when you spend time working for successful social games as well as at the other extream with complex MMO's is PA is a strange beast that is effectively caught between a rock and a hard place.

It can never compete with something like EVE as the browser based nature pretty much forces it into being a more simple and ticker based rather that EVE's complex real time experiance BUT it's simply too complex and involving to be a social game.

Spinner simply got lucky with his timing, he had the right product for the internet community at the time as the net was still a geeky placemat was largely a place the young felt at home. They didn't have the commitments in general that you have later in life and they could let PA take over their life. This generation got older however they left school/Uni and got jobs and family's that required more and more of the time they used to play PA in. As technology improved the 'hardcore' games simply moved beyond PA's potential leaving it in the wilderness with no way of getting put of it without changing the core elements that older timers are so protective over.

It needs to decide what it want to be, a niche hardcore game that people will pay for and pay more for or a mass audience social game. Either way it needs someone to sit down with a blank page of paper and start from scratch as either a hardcore or Social game to make the game relavent today again
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote