View Single Post
Unread 4 May 2006, 00:32   #27
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: a research/construction queueing system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Hero
Why should casual players be punished for using a queue system? Adding such artificial penalties only punishes the people this idea is aimed at - more casual players.
Personally, i believe that activity should be rewarded insofar as people who plan ahead and have researches/constructions complete around the time when they are online (and active people are online more), then that is the best outcome as the more people are on, the more they participate in the community and/or with their alliance.

By adding a "penalty" for queing up research/constructions, you arent necessarily penalising the inactive players. All that is different is that players need to do a cost/benefit analysis before clicking the button. Take, for example, a scenario with a player who can get online once every 24 hours. They know that their constructions take 10 hours, and research takes 32 hours. In this situation, they would only be able to do 1 construction a day, and 1 research every two days. With a queing system, they could do 2 constructions a day (assuming that additional time is equal to or less than 2 hours per construction), and/or incurr x% more cost for doing so. If the construction/s were a Refinery, then they would produce 10k more resources (10ticks *1000), which you can then deduct from the "penalty" for scheduling the construction.

Similarly, with research, by scheduling the next research item a player who can get on every 24 hours will be able to do 2 researches over 3 days, instead of the alternative 4 days. Even with a penalty of 10%, this benefit is significant to still make it worthwhile for players to schedule items, whilst not penalising those who are active.

Thus, i support the idea in principle. As for certain costs etc, i am not quite so sure - that is, in my mind, the only area that needs to be discussed...
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote