Thread: Fakenicking
View Single Post
Unread 9 Dec 2006, 11:00   #1
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Fakenicking

This thread is part question and part anecdote. As some of you may know, Ascendancy concentrated about half of its members into a single semi-private galaxy this round. The galaxy channel had many of these members added for weeks before they successfully exiled into the galaxy. As has also come up on AD before, some of the Ascendancy members were listed as EXilition by alliance intel because they took part in EXilition fleetcatches*.

Now, this seems odd, since our galaxy refused to fakenick. Conventional wisdom would have it that our nicks (and therefore our alliance) should've leaked immediately. At some point I was listed as EXilition mere days after having hit EX planets.

Is alliance intel really that bad? What did your alliance have us down as? If some FO, ND and other HC could help me out here, I'd be very grateful. I'm asking honestly, because I haven't actually had access to any alliance's intel apart from Ascendancy in a long, long time.

Why did realnicking not immediately reveal us?

I have some theories here. One is that not giving access to anyone with a suspected fakenick meant that we could put our trust in those who were in the channel. This in turn meant that the people who did get access could trust us, and had reason to not betray that trust. I'm not sure though. I don't even know that realnicking didn't reveal us immediately, and that perhaps it is Ascendancy that was secure enough that people didn't know we were members (though this would be a bit odd since a lot of our higher profile members like jerome were in the galaxy).

The third question is whether fakenicking is still worth it. Late in the round, FO, EXilition and Ascendancy all sent Kargool's planet a war declaration ingame, prompting this reply:
Quote:
<Kargool> atleast one thing this proves is only my own suspicions about my need to fakenick through an entire round so that people wouldnt bash my planet just because they disagree with me.
The comedic value of him taking the joke so seriously aside, does he have a point? As far as I know, no one did bash Kargool's planet simply because they disagreed with him, though he did get a a bit of incoming after he launched on Desse**.

There is certainly a case to be made for fakenicking, but how much of this case is founded on fear, paranoia or an inflated sense of self-importance?

I don't think fakenicking is worth it, and the only reason I would do it again is as as a respect to my buddypack if they wanted to do so. But it's easier for me to just go random or buddy up with people who agree with me.

* Interesting aside: people complain that Ascendancy were 'EX muppets' for this, but EXilition weren't always the first choice. Perhaps they were more open to non-members due to their more casual approach to the round?

** No more planet NAP.