View Single Post
Unread 21 May 2017, 22:15   #15
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of
Re: Population research

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
I disagree. Xan is less dependent on doing well in the early game than Etd or Zik, because they have a very strong comeback mechanic that other races lack: faking. Even if you're doing badly as Xan, you can just launch 3 attack fleets every night, where Etd and Zik usually have to make do with 2.

(Cat needs to do even better in the early game, because they're everyone's favourite target. And, for the sake of completeness: Ter doesn't need to do as well early on, because they can catch back up with FCs and refs.)
We will have to disagree, you put far too much emphasis on faking. Although it is good it will not 'catch you up' if you are behind by 250 ticks worth of a 25% resource bonus/extra research.

We have seen evidence of this in multiple rounds of troll alliances that crash and lose value as xans. Early on they are a threat due to value being close but come tick 500+ then are like a fly being swatted. Invariably 1 fleet coverd or self covered. And although yes Xan is able to put more useful fleets into attacks than non cloaked races when 2-3 fleets are needed to break emp or make a land viable all that advantage is gobbled up quivkly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz
This is a better characterization of the problem. I don't think I would have a problem with nerfing Cat construction speed by another 5 percentage points, or maybe buffing Xan, Zik and Etd construction speed (Ter doesn't need it), or maybe both. Playing around with base alert (not stealth!) rates might be another way to hurt Cat early game.
I don't see how buffing con points solves the issue. There is no amount of boost that can currently replicate a 50% pop boost or such a huge research boost. This wasn't designed to be a cat only feature but it's rubbish implementation has made it just that.

Appoco has 5 days to be sensible and remove it from the game, actually get a team to work out how best to put it in the game and then moot the idea at eorc (or on his revamped forums lol).

Otherwise why would you ever go anything other than cat. The boost is gonna make them immune to all
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote