Thread: A Plane Problem
View Single Post
Unread 2 Jan 2008, 01:44   #335
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: A Plane Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
A Plane Problem 1 Jan 2008 23:49 Kenny Arrogance is justified when one is right. I'm not always, but I am this time, and I don't seek the approval of others to maintain this opinion.
My approval has nothing to do with the laws of science you simpleton. If the plane was powered by it's wheels (we call that a car) then yes, the treadmill matching it's speed would prevent it from attaining velocity. However, a plane is powered by the engines mounted on it's wings. The only thing the wheels are responsible for is lowering friction with the ground by allowing the plane to roll. Therefore when the engines pull the plane forward and the conveyor belt moves in the opposite direction the only noticable result will be that the wheels of the plane will be rolling twice as fast as they would otherwise. Assuming the pilot isn't as slow as you seem to be and takes off the brake.

It is honestly not my responsibility that you can't understand this and I'm certainly not going to bother with you anymore. Perhaps if you weren't too cocksure to even read the excellent explanations laid out by people far smarter than I (and most certainly you) you wouldn't have made such a giant fool of yourself.

edit: And there is airflow going over the wings as, once more, the wheels have no bearing on whether or not the plane moves forward.

Last edited by Achilles; 2 Jan 2008 at 01:49.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote