View Single Post
Unread 4 Aug 2005, 23:12   #1
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute
Dynamic salvage - a way to retain players?

Before reading this post I had decided upon a reply after reading the topic ("How to keep bashed/small/new players interested").

An idea about 'dynamic' salvage popped into my head that rewards the lower players much like XP does. The way this would work is that the salvage gained during a battle would increase or decrease relative to the player's value and the universe average value.

Doing so would pay back more of a fleet's value to a lower ranked player, and less to us big, scary alliance-based players.

I feel this would make players learn as they build wrong fleets - but rather than ruining their round, it would give them a better chance of playing again. This may also have desirable side effects such as higher scores leading to being exiled around less.

I suppose a formula would look like so:

Ratio = (Universe_Avg_Value / Your_Value) this would be capped between 0.5 and 3
Salvage_Gained = Ratio * 30% or whatever the current salvage amount is

As you can see, If the universe average value is 300,000:

Your value is: 100,000
Ratio = 3
Salvage_Gained = 90% of the fleet value lost

Your value is: 900,000
Ratio = 0.5 remember its capped between 0.5 and 3
Salvage_Gained = 15% of the fleet value lost

Using those specific caps, as far as I can see, no abuse can be done (there is no point in suiciding your fleet to get 90% of the value back in resources and the larger players are not crippled with crazy values of 0.01% salvage).

P.S. Since we're trying to help new players practice with fleets, it might be nice to award salvages for attacking... If their ratio is say, 3 or higher (i.e. The universe average value is three times theirs) then they will be rewarded with *some* salvage. However, this brings in the same abusion issues as XP whoring, and also promotes it.

Discuss!

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote