View Single Post
Unread 24 Jun 2008, 21:02   #49
Aedolaws

Aedolaws is on a distinguished road
Re: Official Denial Statement

But why did they fail to discover the crime?

Was it because the criminals did a very good job in keeping it secret, that is, it was IMPOSSIBLE to discover unless you got MH tools?
Or was it because they failed to have the morale and the mechanisms in place (i.e. (1) alliance rule: if you cheat, you are out forever!) to avoid cheating?
Or was it because the others HCs turned a blind eye to half joke comments made in the private/officers channel(s)?
Or was it because the member-base was led astray by a handful of criminals while the other HCs did nothing to avoid this?

Myz, I addressed both "weaklings" in my original post. I did mention that if the alliance was truly non-negligent (they took all reasonable measures and this came about without their control [or even influence]) then there is a fair question whether to punish all members.

Was this the case here? Maybe.

Denial members should have argued this, instead of calling me a moron law student.

=======

I can understand how relatives may think their relatives are innocent (even when they see the blood in their shirt); and wish for their relatives to not go to jail. That is, to keep it in the family. And yes, human nature dictates that we will more readily forgive those we love or that are linked to us, than our enemies. But, this does not cure the crime. This is not even Christian. This in fact exacerbates a culture of lawlessness which will eventually wreak havoc to the detriment of all.

=======
Now, besides this issue of fault/no fault, there is the issue of punishment. Some of you say that it is enough to only punish those members "caught," and that the community should not punish the entire team, but instead, let it go (in the wishful thinking that they were the only ones at fault and that it won't happen again [it takes a village to raise a child, or a criminal, or whatever!). Some of us, and trust me, a bunch of people have told me so, believe that this is an ideal opportunity for the community to show itself that it will not tolerate cheating and that it would punish it severely, for the greater good.

Last edited by Aedolaws; 24 Jun 2008 at 21:17.
Aedolaws is offline   Reply With Quote