View Single Post
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 16:46   #24
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Unionism in Northern Ireland

Quote:
Because historically it's been one nation?
Quote:
Republicanism is an arrogant pseudo-imperialist view.
If all they want is a united ireland then imho their position is imperialist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge
I beleive I read somewhere that sometime in the next 10 years (maybe less) that the Catholic population will actually be in the majority in NI. (sorry it was a Magazine not online so no link)

The current situation will remain while ever the majority of the people of Northern Ireland wish it, the republican position is that a referendum should include for the whole of Ireland and not just the Northern bit.

However, when the Catholics do have a majority (they are breeding faster then the proddies) then we will probably see a push for a referendum in the north. Which could make for some interesting times to say the least.
Personally im skeptical that a population that feels included in any political and economic make-up (they are represented and they are fairly treated) would willingly vote to join another country. If nothing else the economy of the UK at the time of any referendum and the economy of Ireland at any referendum would play a big part in deciding.

But then i don't get why the republic was created in the first place

edit/

basically what dante said here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante
2. Everyone stops giving a shit and the whole place gets subsumed in some sort of "European" / EU identity/nationality.

I can't imagine the nationalist talk playing well in future years, the trend in europe at least has been against that.