View Single Post
Unread 14 Aug 2007, 08:52   #28
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: What Should be Taught in Schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
People should have the opportunity to learn whatever they want, whenever they want, however they want. But they should be made to learn as little as possible. Yes, there are subjects I find myself wishing everyone had a proficiency in at times. But I tend to find on reflection these skills (that I imagine I might possess) are ones which were primarily self-taught.
So then when these teenagers get to the age of 16 (or whichever age you feel compulsory education should end at), and we have a plethora of subjects studied, with no standardised quantification of qualification, how are they supposed to apply for jobs? Just give them a couple of pages of A4 and tell them to describe their school experience and everything they chose to learn?

YOUNG children love to learn, sure. By the time they're 12-13 though, school becomes a social place for them. The school system is in place because this ridiculous myth that you can adapt a laissez-faire attitude to teaching teenagers simply isn't true. Sure, it would work for some pupils. Those pupils will excel whichever way they are taught though.

Do you honestly, seriously believe that a kid with ADHD would happily be left to study and learn if you just gave them a bit of guidance and left them to their own devices?