View Single Post
Unread 23 Apr 2005, 15:50   #67
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: The GD Music Archive

I'd like to think my music taste has matured a bit further since I last posted, looking back on my vote for The Used's In Love And Death which is really appalling, looking back. Regardless:

Alternate Punk

The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute

It's rare when a good band such breaks apart and the offspring of the broken bands turn out to be even better. This is the case at hand especially when regarding former At The Drive In members in The Mars Volta. After their magnificent last album (DiTC, which is already in this archive), they have gone one step further, taking on the loss of their band member and good friend head on and conceptually enhancing the beauty of their music. I went to a gig of theirs in brixton academy a month and a bit ago, it was THE best gig I have ever been to, 2-3 hours of mars volta only. Random jam sessions, non-sensical lyrics (they make up words to force their listeners to search deeper for meanings) added with the general theme of punk music in salsa lengths make this album one of the best released in the past few years.
Trial Track: "Miranda, That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore"

Emo

Armor For Sleep - Dream To Make Believe

The band's punchy, up-front guitars and vocals sound perfect, and the clean, spacey sound of the guitar hooks are evident from start to stop on the disc. The singerss consistent hook writing, showcased in songs like The Wanderer's Guild and Being Your Walls especially, is amazing and truly original. Armor For Sleep are the only exponents of magnificent eerie rock sort of music, generally typecast as being emo due to the angst associated with it.
Trial Track: "Being Your Walls"

Armor For Sleep - What To Do When You're Dead

Building on the spacey, atmospheric nature of “Dream To Make-Believe,” the band takes it to the next level on “What To Do When You Are Dead.” The new album starts off with an eerie, spacey intro, but blasts quickly into the catchy, rocking chorus the band has now made apparent in their sound. Lots of heavier, punchier guitars and less clean, spacey guitars have transformed Armor For Sleep into a sort of catchy, dark pop rock band; much catchier and punchier than their first album, but with the classic wave of dark lyrics. Most songs will not throw you or grab your attention by your neck if you were a fan of their debut album (Dream To Make Believe) until you come across "Basement Ghosts Singing" which is eerily perfect and describes this band perfectly.
Trial Track: "Basement Ghosts Singing"

Mae - The Everglow

While I admit that the music isn’t revolutionary, that’s not to say it’s not brilliant. Swooning, delicate pianos, wonderful vocal melodies, and loud, punchy breakdowns and vibrant energy and passion are all evident. Loud, soaring choruses, and a new found energy revive the once mellow, repetitive sound Mae had on their debut. The music on this record is truly beautiful, powerful, and with a certain passion and intimacy a lot of bands are lacking these days. Though rather 'soft' for general rock/indie fans, the beauty portrayed by Mae in their 2nd full release (ignoring their b-side album) is well worth dipping into and embracing.
Trial Track: Painless

Last edited by _ryzekiel_; 24 Apr 2005 at 01:21. Reason: typo's and general grammar corrections
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote