View Single Post
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 12:25   #31
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: How do you Revise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
No offence but can you be properly tested if you dont write a good 3-5 pages on a topic, I had two multiple choices exams this year and they were for computing (which is obligatory for once subject and the other was optional) now I got a 90% and didnt revise, why? Because I chose the most reasonable answer and general knowledge got me through, I knew no specifics, thus didnt really know the subject. My law and politics however is completly different :/
How can you be properly tested if you know how to write difficult sentences and know all the pretty words, but don't have a clue about the subject?
I experienced this in some subject at school called ITIL. We got this case where we had to "implement" ITIL in some virtual company. Our group did almost nothing that course, and we should have flunked, definately... but in the end we had to give a presentation before the teacher and the other students about our implementation. The presentation was average, if it wasn't for the final line of the conclusion, in big bold letters on the screen (we had a beamer and stuff) "ITIL + company = winning formula". The teacher (a one time substitute for this course) found this so great he almost spontaneously ejaculated.
We got a 90% for that course, and the other students couldn't quite believe it.

From that time on I kind of dispise people in suits and with a tie who go to a customer to magically solve their problems, because I honestly believe that these kind of people do not master their profession and need their presentation to leave a good impression with the customer.

And that's why I don't believe in writing essays either to truely test a person on his abilities. The presentation of an essay is as important, if not more important, than the actual contents or ideas behind it. If I had to write an essay about software, I'd probably fail because my handwriting is crap, and I'm not good at writing sentences correctly the first time around. The backspace on my keyboard is my greatest friend.

[edit]
And so is the edit button...

What I wanted to say is, there is no full-proof system of testing people of their abilities. The best one I have experienced it project-oriented studying where one is rated on the final product and the overall course of the project. But it takes a lot of time for the examiner to track the project.
[/edit]

I could also tell you how we barely passed a website-project at school thanks to my l33t photoshop skillz, but I'll leave that for another time .