View Single Post
Unread 16 Nov 2006, 21:42   #18
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: [Java] Recommendations

In light of the painful attack of my internet reputation, I shall clarify. I know C and C++ and when I went to learn Java the only thing I needed was the online tutorials that sun provide: java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

It certainly covers the basics in non-too-technical language and as soon as you've managed to digest all that you can start looking at JavaBeans, Reflection and the rest which covers 'beyond'. It even makes Swing look manageable.

I don't know what you're attempted to create with Java, but I managed to create a few 2d platform games using Java's mobile phone technology (which isn't actually that bad--it's ok in fact) and a multiplayer 2d game.

Seriously, don't spend money on books when the online documentation is fantastic, the best I've seen at any rate. I looked at a friend's deital and deital (sp?) book and it was like hitting your head against a brick wall in comparison.

I still dislike Java, and the fact you have to provide so much scaffolding for it to work, in direct contrast to languages like Python, but I've never been able to knock the online documentation.

There: read the online documentation.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote