View Single Post
Unread 10 Mar 2008, 13:20   #18
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Fake nicking: good or bad?

I will freely admit that F-Crew is one of the 2 alliances that Gate is talking about.

Now some of Gate's points can be true, especially for alliances like his. The most obvious one being that a fake nick can lead to less activity in the galaxy channel for some people as keeping an eye on 2 clients seems to cause some people real trouble. He might also be somewhat right that at the top level fake nicking and fake channels dont hide the intel very well at all, although I don't personally believe thats true all the way down (and you guys and your constant "your member at xx:yy:zz is doing this and that" messages which so often prove to not be our members backs me up on this)

However no matter how many of his points might be right the key argument of his is deeply flawed. He holds fake nicking soley responsible for the lack of trust in galaxies which to put it bluntly is bullshit. Fake Nicking is not the cause of lack of trust, its the effect of lack of trust. People fake nick and use fake relay channels because there is not enough loyalty and trust in a galaxy for your galaxy mates to not hand over all your details to their alliance. Yet people seem to think that this handing over of intel isn't a problem for trust in a galaxy and infact is completely acceptable

To quote gate

Quote:
[22:10] <[ND]Gate> none fake relays and non fake nicks removes the trust barriers in galaxies
[22:11] <wakey> No the fact alliances activly encourage their members to hand over their details EVEN when the galaxy has agreed to not hand it over and to drop their fake nicks is what removes trust
[22:11] <wakey> Your alliance being one of the worst on that front
[22:11] <[ND]Gate> I don't see anything wrong with that tbh.
[22:12] <[ND]Gate> alliance is more important than gal because its the team you play with round after rond
and

Quote:
[22:14] <[ND]Gate> What is wrong with handing over intel?
This is where your lack of trust issue mainly arises from yet the aspect being picked on is the tactic used to reduce the effect this lack of trust and loyalty.

Also I don't fully buy the fact that people using fake nicks really on the wider scale reduces trust. If your an average player and no-ones fake nicking and you land in a galaxy consisting of the following people,

Gate
Elviz
JBG
Kargool
and Myself

How much do you think those names mean to the average person, despite them all being people who would be fairly well known as they are highly visible people. I bet they mean very little for most. And if they do know anything about them most of it will have come from 3rd parties.

They might for example know that Elviz is a cheat who would sell his grandmother to win, JBG is the devils son as hes in asc and if they are in certain alliances (especially one starting with O and ending in a t) that I eat babies and make hitler look kind. Does this second hand knowledge increase trust, i think it may very well make people a little standoffish to you atleast initially.

Where as if you land in a galaxy with the above people but who were using the names

Gary
Elton
Jacob
Keith
William

your average player still has little direct knowledge of the people as they are hidden so they have to put the trust in them just like before but also doesn't have any any of the 3rd party negative information so any distrust that info might bring inst in play
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote