View Single Post
Unread 6 Oct 2014, 13:25   #274
Haer
Aquafresh

Haer has a spectacular aura aboutHaer has a spectacular aura aboutHaer has a spectacular aura about
Re: Stats - Round 59 and beyond

The problem with comparing PA to games like wc3/sc2 is that PA takes place in a persistent, multiplayer universe. A game of starcraft will generally have 2 players, both starting from scratch. This makes it much easier for the designers to make assumptions about the scenarios in which each unit will be used. Doing something similar with PA might be possible, but it would take a lot of work to find a set of valid assumptions and build a decent model.

One thing that could potentially help, would be to have the beta played by bot planets and include a lot more information in the PA dumps. This would allow ppl to upload a set of stats, let the bots fight it out for a day or two and then do some statistics on the resulting universe.

In terms of fixed/changing stats each round, I think the best thing would be to have something in the middle of fixed stats & the current system. It would be nice to have a set of stats that get used 2-3 times, with a few minor modifications between the rounds, and then change things up with a whole new set. Some people here have been complaining that all the stats seem to do is shuffle the old set, which is a valid criticism I think. If stats were done this way, you could look to introduce something a little bit more different with the new set.

Both of these ideas really require input from multiple dedicated people to work though. The stats committee idea has been mentioned a few times in this thread, but I still dont see any action to put such a thing in place.

In terms of the current set, how about changing the investor to be init 8 kill instead of init 6?
Haer is offline   Reply With Quote