View Single Post
Unread 17 May 2005, 17:14   #22
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: How to balance out the races next round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
If its not going to majorly impact the status quo, why bother?
If it's not broke, don't fix it

Quote:
It matters alot. Consider a Poor Cathaar trying to stun battleship incoming, with lets say 25 Wyvern, 50 Dragons and 25 Levs. Due to proportional firing, half of the shots land on Dragons (and we'll assume they are all stunned), one quarter land on Wyvern which are all stunned, and one quarter land on Levs, of which 1 is stunned. Thus, 24 pods remain unstunned and thus the Poor Cath can loose up to 216 roids. If it was the other way around, all the pods could have been stunned but none/few of the Wyvern/dragon - thus more ship losses (for the defender) but less roid losses. As roids are less free flowing, this leads to a more stagnated game (and thus less fun), though it could be argued that with the reduced defender's fleets that there could be a reduction in the amount of value that are protecting those roids, thus discouraging stagnation. I think the pods win out at the end of the day though.
This is one of the better explanations of that combat engine quirkiness I've seen.

I really should've looked a lot harder at Cathaar efficiency pre-round. I'd say that either the Viper or the BW is too weak by about 15% damage-wise, probably the latter (since there's already enough zero-loss def firing at the DE).
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote