Thread: The Console War
View Single Post
Unread 30 Mar 2007, 16:20   #1
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
The Console War

Seeing as the PS3 has been released in Europe I figured that now's a good a time as any to see what your thoughts on the different consoles are. Here's mine just to start us off:

The Xbox 360

Good old Microsoft have done well so far. By releasing their console early they could have done a Dreamcast but instead it looks like they've got themselves a healthy lead. They've got a good library of exclusive titles with more to come (Mass Effect alone might convince me to buy a 360) and they've got a user base that would have any developer salivating. I'm no way saying that their lead is insurmountable but I think the last year and news of the future is going to hold them in good stead for a long time to come. The recent announcement of the new Elite system won't make much difference I think.

The Wii

I appreciate what Nintendo have done, release a console that isn't particularly powerful but will sell itself on its low low price point. Seems to be working. So far... Sure, it's selling well but I have serious doubts about its long term future. As the games on the other two consoles become more and more impressive people are going to start wondering why they should bother wasting their time with a Wii. I think Nintendo's chronic problem of not being able to find enough third party support is going to hound them into this generation and once people start getting worked up about games like the next Final Fantasy the poor little console that (almost) could will fall by the wayside. I think Nintendo will still make money from this generation but I don't really see them as a major contender.

The Playstation 3

Oh deary me Sony, you've really blown it this time haven't you? Well, maybe... The PS3's bad press seems incessant these days. People are constantly asking themselves why Sony are forcing them to pay for a Blue Ray player that they don't even want and even developers like Capcom are giving them a kick in the nuts by releasing Devil May Cry 4 simultaneously on the 360. On the other hand this is a console that is built to last. As the months progress people with HDTVs will start to see the power of the PS3 and in the long term people might even be happy that it has a Blue Ray player. I think the next year or so is going to be rough for Sony but if they can brave it out and still sell enough units then the PS3 has real potential to have the long lasting power that the PS2 had (and still has).

In conclusion I think the winner of this war will either be the PS3 or the 360. At the moment on paper it looks like the 360 is the more solid choice but I wouldn't underestimate the PS3's long term staying power. Especially when the price cuts start coming in I think people will be more and more put off by the Wii.