View Single Post
Unread 6 May 2008, 09:59   #5
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Advice] Design as Career

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
I need guidance on the following:

** Anyone know any good places to start to learn InDesign & Illustrator - particuarly websites, books, magazines etc.? I don't want your bog standard tutorials websites that teaches you the very basics.
I would advise you following a course to learn Indesign & Illustrator. Both of them can seem pretty easy, especially once you've gotten the hang of it, but they both have alot of usefull features that never or hardly ever get mentioned in the online tutorials.
Basicly, if you want to learn how to do it properly & effecient, take a course & don't follow the internet.

Quote:
** Whether I should apply for one of the graphic media courses at LCC as mentioned earlier or whether I should just teach myself?
Like I said above, I would recommend you to follow a course. Unfortunatly I'm not from England so I don't know what level of education LCC offers.
When chosing a course there is 1 very important thing you need to keep in mind: Do you want to follow the more art oriented course in the hope of being a designer or do you want to take the more tech approach where you learn the ins & outs of the programs and how to do everything right for printing.
Personally I chose to do the more technical course and I don't regret it.

Quote:
** Where I should search aside from Google, for companies that offer design internships for entry (non-degree) level designers.
Again, I'm not from the UK so I may be completly wrong but over here in Belgium there isn't that much places hiring even graduated designers and if they do they require a minimum of 5 years experience in the job. So if the UK is anything like here I doubt you'll find an internship anywhere tbh.

Quote:
** The right dimensions for business cards including bleed dimensions in this country as Wikipedia gives me different dimensions compared to a few other websites I have looked at.

Thanks for any help guys.
Standard size for a bussiness card (in milimeter): 85 width & 55 height.
Bleed dimensions standards are usually between 3 and 5 milimeter. The amount of bleed usually depends on the printer, some prefer 3 milimeter, some prefer 5, ...

If you are really serious about wanting to become a designer I really suggest you take a course.
Key programs to focuss on are Indesign, Illustrator & Photoshop.
Even if you allready know some of these programs I would still encourage you to take a course.
Alot of people claim to know photoshop, but when you need to use photoshop for printing there are ALOT of stuff different than making things for the web. For the web the only thing you need to keep in mind is if it looks good on your screen, for printing this is completly different.

Anyway, I hope I haven't discouraged you in any way, I'll just end with one last statement: when you do get a degree and find a decent job etc etc, It's probably the best job in the world

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote