View Single Post
Unread 27 Oct 2003, 23:23   #11
Killerbij
Roidhumper

Killerbij is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: improving the gaming experience not the game mechanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit
Races - I feel we should go back to races 'how they were' with the diff types of fleets (clocked emp steal and fighters)

Comments?
I wouldnt mind the old races back; the return of ship-based initiative would be a shame though. I think there is a great opportunity to enhance the combat with the introduction of more tactics while still retaining abilities like cloak, emp, steal. What I would like (and I gave a small (not that well explained) glimpse at earlier this thread) is the ability to split your fleet into say 3 strikegroups. Each with different orders.

Strikegroup One could for instance be set to have a high initiative at the cost of accuracy and damage. (A Zikonian Player could put their Steal ships in this group and set the setting accordingly as could Cathaar the emp (the only ships that should still retain initiative advantage in a initiative group*)

Strikegroup Two could go for maximum damage but would fire last (Players could put battleships in these but I can imagine you might want to make different groups (and settings) based on your targets defenses)

Strikegroup Three would for example go for the roids and thus be in the middle initiative group (I think any ship should retain the roidcap capability)

*Combat would thus have 3 initiative groups. All ships in a fleet can be put in one of these groups (or all in the same group) via the tactics and the ships in a group can be changed. It would allow for some very interesting combat and allow the old abilities to return without the disadvantage of returning the old initiatives (Which encouraged bashing a great deal) Basically this is the current priorities idea but costumisable by the player for shipgroups.

On the Missions screen an example would be:

Fleet 1
Squadron 1:
Battleshipname 100
Fightername 5000 Priorities Maximum Kill (Initiative 3)
Squadron 2:
Frigatename 200
Frigatename 200 Priorities Roids (Initiative 2)
Squadron 3:
Cruisername 225 Priorities Initiative (Initiative 1)

However the same fleet (for now in the same squadrons) could also be configured:
Fleet 1
Squadron 1:
Battleshipname 100
Fightername 5000 Priorities Roids (Initiative 2)
Squadron 2:
Frigatename 200
Squadron 3:

Using 2 squadrons for the same setting isnt that usefull though so if a player wanted maximum kill he could add ships. (Moving ships from squadron 2 to squadron 1 and adding ships to squadron 2

Fleet 1
Squadron 1:
Battleshipname 100
Fightername 5000
Frigatename 200
Squadron 2:
Battleship 500
Frigatename 200 Priorities Maximum Kill (Initiative 3)
Squadron 3:

I think this would allow the use of the old shiptypes without the return of ship-based initiative and also enhancing combat to a higher level.

Then again I could be missing some issues... discuss