Thread: PA Bcalc ?
View Single Post
Unread 2 May 2008, 14:52   #3
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future
Re: PA Bcalc ?

Planetarion relies far too heavily on external tools to play the game. In the past it was fairly viable to just quickly calculate stuff in your head given the low number of ships with a single race, you knew that loads of a particular ship would be enough to kill a planet. These days we're dealing with multiple races, lots of init levels, ships with guns, energy resist, multiple targeting with different effectiveness for 2nd/3rd targets, ship stealing/suiciding, etc.

What if one of these external tools suddenly closed? Although we see lots of bcalc clones, I prefer to use Thrud's bcalc, same thing with Sandmans for searching. The number of competitors is dropping as well as the quality of them. Expecting users to rely on third party tools to use your own product is not a good idea in the long term.

I think Makhil's suggestions are what I expect a in decent Planetarion UI. If I've done a scan or just received a link to one, why can't I click a link for the game to bring up a battle calc with all my ships and my opponents ships added?

Whilst I entirely agree that it should be a standard part of the game, I highly recommend not adding it. Some of you might be thinking "why?".

Nearly everything PA Team touches turns to shit. They wouldn't bother implementing the full feature set, it would probably have an awkward to use UI and most people wouldn't use it. The efforts of random volunteers online is far superior than the efforts of PA Team.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote