View Single Post
Unread 22 Sep 2010, 09:34   #68
Influence
Finally retired

Influence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to behold
Re: Planetarion Redesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
That really doesnt help new players, as theres masses of ships and alot of different combo's, add in the race factor and its wtf to assess the best strategy. The shipstats at the moment just force the user to pick a race at tick 0 and pick which 3-4 ships they'll spam build. Theirs no real progression and people are relatively screwed if they pick an underpowered strategy/race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
Having all the numbers in the world does not make it readable for new players to determine which ships out of 50 they should build, which race to pick, and what they'll pwn.
I never stated it would be the full solution, however just changing shipstats to less ships isn't the full solution either imho.

The problem i see in the current setup is that it will allways be better to mass one or 2 classes of ships. Given this fact i argued that instead of throwing the new player into the deep pool, there should be a display that enables a new player to make an educated choice on which ships to produce.

If a new player clicks on shipstats now all he sees is a spreadsheet with some numbers that don't say anything unless you've digged deep in the formulae, and then at the bottom of the page their is a link to see the advanced analysis where you can see how effective a ship is versus any other ship. What i argued was a way to see this effectiveness numbers before the player produces them, showing exactly what ships the ship i am about to produce targets and which ship targets the ship i am producing (and preferably the numbers they kill/need to kill it)

Another way to allow this 'education' is to implement a fleetadvisor where a new player can see in what ratio's other players(with the same race/class setup) have build ships, or have a few members from the community to adjust this setup before every round.

Imho this advisor should be implemented on every page where it tells/shows a) what you can do at the page, and b) advice on what would be best to do (based on a few questions and the setup that's allready been done on the account)

In the absence of the good old TiT alliance, look me up in VGN
Influence is offline   Reply With Quote