View Single Post
Unread 18 Sep 2010, 11:15   #49
Light
You've Seen The Light

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Planetarion Redesign

Sorry, been busy with work the past few days but ive nearly finished my proper design document. Most the work is done, just got to finish the appendix and numbers now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
1) Spaceport.
You build these constructions (M/C/E sliders or something) which takes the usually 50 pop to fill each, and it works the same as 1 pop per roid. It slows down roidage, and I think would help new players understand limits to roid counts.
I think the new population system would slow down roidage alot while also giving strategy. Their is now no 'hard limit' to the amount of asteroids a planet can mine but the more population the player diverts to mining the less population they have in research/constructions (less population in research obviously means longer to get eta, upgrades, etc and less population in constructions means it takes the player longer to increase their population which automatically slows down the players ability to mine more asteroids).

Theirs now strategy in the amount of asteroids a player mines, Ive also altered the quest system slightly to highlight the population mining mechanic.

Quote:
2) Structure costs.
I would propose the cost to build constructions be either;
a) Removed
b) A Fixed amount of resource - This still means at the start it costs enough resource at the start to think about a strategy.

Currently structure costs are nothing to players at a medium-high level, and only hinder new players.
Theirs only 5 main constructions now and the player does not build anymore except for upgrading their current constructions. This allows me to alter the build time, cost, and what the upgrade gives.

Im currently trying to find a balance where the player sometimes will have to save up for a construction and at the start of the game, resources are tight.

Quote:
3) Exponential Construction Time.
In the place of structure costs, would be an exponential increase in build times (quick to learn, hard to master.. Mz).

This also means top players must increase pop into structure building to keep up.
Yes, it already does that.. same as research. To ensure that players have to keep upgrading their population, construction, research buildings and neglecting one area has a real effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Upgrading > Building anew.
Thats annoyed me, came up with the idea afew days ago when playing War of Legends. Where the player upgrades the 5 main population buildings instead of building new ones. However, im toying with the idea of implementing one time constructions which offer boosts in some areas which are unlocked through the research tree.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
Population Death

Rather than just a random pop death formula, base it like this.

1) Any structure that's destroyed, has up to 20% of its workers killed (1 minimum, 20% max).
2) Bunkers have much more HP so should have less deaths.
Im still wondering weither to actually implement structure kilers and how i'd do the formula. Im trying to keep every formula as simple as possible but as effective as possible and structure killers seem either useless or over-powered. It becomes more of a problem now that constructions are extremly important.

Quote:
Another Roid Change
Its possible to just have 1 single roid (not M/C/E), but use the "spaceports" idea to set the amounts you want to mine of each resource.
Lol, ive overhauled the resources, eoniums deleted and replaced with something else, as i could not find a way to make eonium work and be useful for something.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote