View Single Post
Unread 24 Apr 2005, 23:07   #67
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: World of Warcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_horn
i still don't get why shadowbane wasn't huge ?
i never played it but from previews i saw of it with things like building your own cities and empires etc it seemed light years ahead of just wandering around killing rats and then bigger rats for hours on end
Shadowbane is indeed a very good game. Problem is the mechanics put a lot of people off.

First of all is the PvP. You can basically kill anyone of any level, no matter how much lower level they are than you, without any penalty whatsoever. While I personally think this is one of the great strengths of the game it pisses a lot of people off cos they feel they are being ganked on. I guess the people who play games like Everquest (which is hugely popular) don't like this free for all attitude.

Another "problem" is the Guild vs Guild warfare. A Guild more powerful than their opposing Guild can basically crush towns that took weeks to build up. In the early months of the game a lot of Guilds were destroyed in this way which led to a mass exodus from the game; it hasn't really recovered since.

While I think Shadowbane is easily one of the better MMORPGs out there it doesn't really appeal to the majority of gamers who I guess just want to spend their time killing rats all day :/