View Single Post
Unread 25 Feb 2016, 12:11   #41
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold
Re: r66 - The Random One

Quote:
Originally Posted by berten View Post
Will these new players step up to the level of the veterans, or will the veterans have to come down to their level and be frustrated for 1150 ticks.
Neither. This seems a rather odd statement. Do all players in your galaxy have exactly the same activity and ability? I doubt it. We always work around the fact that people are on at different times, have different strategies, are more active, are more willing to send def and give up their roids to save others etc.

Quote:
While a short random round could be fun, the exile/galaxy disband system will have to be overhauled so galaxies are not stuck with the litter of the band. Even in our current setup it's a huge pain if you don't end up with 3-4 decent randoms from pt12.
Yes the exile system would need to be fiddled a bit. It is very restrictive at the moment because of the bp system so could be loosened up a bit if not using the same system.

Quote:
There is mechanics in this game that force people to play 24/7 if you want to compete. If 2 randoms end up in a gal where 80% does not want to do this, their round is over.
Absolutely true if what you care about is getting #1 gal. But for most that is not their aim in playing pa. I rather think Sandvold proves this is not the case if aiming for personal ranks as his is very much a average galaxy. I personally have been well into the T100 in a bottom 10 galaxy (though this was over thirty rounds ago).

Quote:
The only thing that will happen is, the galaxies that are lucky to get a decent set of players will run of, while a big group of experienced, active and willing players will be disappointed by the round and end up quitting or playing half-arsed
Certainly true that it will be luck of the draw which galaxies run off in the galaxy race. I have my doubts about the rest of the assertion. A great many players go random at the moment and dont end up quitting as a result of it. At the same time there are plenty who are part of a bp and end up quitting or playing half-arsed. Where is your evidence that this will make a big difference?

Quote:
In a perfect world, where you have 500 somewhat equally active players (not even talking about skill here), random galaxies would be our way forward. This is not the case, and the active community will suffer for it.
An assertion that is lacking evidence!

Quote:
Randomness in gaming is a bad thing when it influences your chance of success in comparison to your competition. We already have more then enough of this with the setup we currently have.
So what you are saying is that you prefer unfair competition or an unbalanced playing field to fair and random competition? Since you are concerned about poor players dragging you down while some other good players end up with other good players how about it is not random at all but each player's average rank over their last few rounds is used to provide seeding? Everything could then be nicely evened out! In the long term this could be gamed but could work for a one off.

My preference in this is just for a change. This to me does not have to mean random galaxies, I would equally be happy with slotting together two bps of two, having very small galaxies (one bp of two) or even at a stretch I guess fully private galaxies!

Otterly an Otter.
booji is offline   Reply With Quote